Using Free MapRun App
Llanishen, N Cardiff, exact location to follow.
Registration from 6.30 – mass start at 7.00pm.
-£3.00. U16s (£1.00) are very welcome to take part but must be accompanied by an adult.
Bring – phone, torch, pen and hi viz to wear.
- You have 60 minutes, and a map with 30 checkpoints to visit.
- Your goal: to score points by visiting checkpoints. Score as many points as you can, and get back to the start within the time limit.
- You can choose which checkpoints to visit, in any order, via any route.
- Checkpoints may be a mixture of road junctions, lamp posts, fire hydrants and other urban features and have between 10 and 30 points awarded. Controls 1 – 10 are worth 10 pts, 11 – 20, 20 pts and 21 – 30 are 30pts. The control sites will not be otherwise marked on the ground.
Speed is an advantage, but the fastest runner won’t necessarily come out on top. It’ll take smart planning to find the shortest route worth the most points.
How does it work?
- The app automatically records each checkpoint you visit: it will bleep to tell you it has registered.
- Although you can use the map provided on the app to navigate with it is better to use the paper map and store your phone away.
- Once you’ve finished, the app will upload your route, so you can compare your results with everyone else.
What you need to do in advance
- Download and install the App from Google Play or the Apple App Store
- Enter the small amount of personal information required to identify yourself in the results.
- You should also check that your phone is correctly set up for maprun. Click here for guidance on phone settings for the maprun app.
- Start the app, Tap Select Event. You’ll need to scroll down to the UK folder, and then into Wales.
- Select Radyr AGM Event. Wait for the course and map files to download.
- You won’t be able to see the map or course until you are given a PIN number just before the start of the event.
NOTE – Due to British Orienteering insurance restrictions if you are not a SWOC/BOF member and have entered more than 2 orienteering events since Jan 2018 you will not be covered by their 3rd part liability insurance.