Venue – Event moved to Cardiff, venue to be confirmed
Entry Limited to 29 unless Welsh Government regulations change.
Although runners on the night are limited to 29 the event map will subsequently be posted on the SWOC website and can be run at any time.
Entries – £3 Adults, £1 U16 . Pre-entry only on Fabian4. U16 have to be accompanied by an adult who will also have to enter the event.
Entries for SWOC members will open first, dates to be confirmed.
All you have to do on the night is identify yourself to the organiser, collect your map and start.
Bring – phone, torch, pen and hi viz to wear.
- You have 60 minutes, and a map with 30 checkpoints to visit.
- Your goal: to score points by visiting checkpoints. Score as many points as you can, and get back to the start within the time limit.
- You can choose which checkpoints to visit, in any order, via any route.
- Checkpoints are mixture of road junctions and path junctions and have between 10 and 30 points awarded. Controls 1 – 10 are worth 10 pts, 11 – 20, 20 pts , 21 – 30 are 30pts .
- The control sites will not be otherwise marked on the ground.
Speed is an advantage, but the fastest runner won’t necessarily come out on top. It’ll take smart planning to find the shortest route worth the most points.
How does it work?
- The app automatically records each checkpoint you visit: it will bleep to tell you it has registered.
- Although you can use the map provided on the app to navigate with it is better to use the paper map and only check your phone when at a control.
- Once you’ve finished, the app will calculate your score and upload your route, so you can compare your results with everyone else.
What you need to do in advance
- Download and install the App from Google Play or the Apple App Store
- Enter the small amount of personal information required to identify yourself in the results.
- You should also check that your phone is correctly set up for maprun. Click here for guidance on phone settings for the maprun app. You need to have location enabled and usually volume to max so you can hear it beep when you get to a control.
- Start the app, Tap Select Event. You’ll need to scroll down to the UK then Wales then South Wales folder.
- Select the St Mellons Event. Wait for the course and map files to download.
- You won’t be able to see the map or course on your phone until you get the PIN number which will be printed on your paper map.
- Make sure you go to the start point and that your phone beeps to confirm that you have started.
- Do not go to the finish before you want to finish your run or the app will finish you prematurely.